Monday, September 26, 2011

Ooo, that'd be cool.

For those who don't know me, I have a bit of an interest in Model Railroad.  Just recently I've been thinking about trying to do a small 40k model rail layout.

My interest in the idea was originally sparked when I saw these images in the Apocalypse book a few years back.



I shelved the idea back then as being too much work (not to mention ongoing monetary concerns) But now, with the 40k city terrain, trees, craters and the awesome Realm of battle table sections, the idea not only looks way more plausable, but heaps of fun too.

So heres what I've got in mind.  First off, get hold of three or four realm of battle boards.  Use these to arrange a shelf layout 2ft deep by 6ft (possibly with an L layout using the fourth board.)  Build up a raised track bed with Styrene and bits and pieces of City terrain and the like.  Lay the track similar to the way you might have a crossing, paved surrounds etc.  Assemble buildings and other scenic elements utilising the 40k city terrain, Trees, Statues, Barricades etc.  For the Trains,  Scratch build the bodies of the loco's and wagons using plasticard and put these on HO chassis. Then I would add characters and scenes to the layout.  A gang fight might be a good option, using the Necromunda figures.

Obviously right now this is a bit of a pipe dream, but I'm really liking the idea and I thought I'd share it with you all as a way of combining interests.

Later Folks

Ben

1 comment:

  1. That train is amazing, and this is a cool concept

    Perhaps arrange the train line so it can be moved about a bit, say have the exits lined up at the same point on each map bit so it can be rearranged.

    That way you can have an awesome display that can also be a game board.

    ReplyDelete